Shoulder to Shoulder Ministry
We are parishioners helping parishioners at San Pedro Catholic Church. There are times in life when we need to rely on one another, and we want to make sure you know that you can call on us if ever help is needed.
We know that life, at times, has its difficulties and we believe it’s important to rely on one another. This is the gift of community. St. Paul commended us to “bear one another’s burdens” (Galatians 6:2). When one of us is ill, grieving, homebound, facing an unexpected crisis, or just struggling to get by – we help bear the burden. We stand together, Shoulder to Shoulder.
Those interested in serving must be registered parishioners, have received the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation, and be at least of high school age. A background check is also required and they must have completed Friends 101 and committed to complete Friends 201-401. Training is required.
What We Do
Much of the help needed is simple - a ride to a doctor appointment, help with a chore, a computer, paperwork, moving something, replacing lightbulbs, a small repair, a home or yard project, help finding someone to hire, meals or prayer.
Some examples of what we can help with:
- Transportation: Rides to doctor appointments, the grocery store, and church.
- Meals: Healthy homemade dinners.
- Chores: Cleaning, laundry, ironing, errands, shopping, and cooking.
- Yard Work: Mowing, trimming, weeding, and cleaning gutters.
- Pet Care: Walking, feeding, and help caring for your pet when you can’t.
- Small Repairs: Fixing doors, windows, faucets, drains, toilets, lights, and appliances.
- Safety Check: Inspecting and installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replacing light bulbs, checking locks, and resetting clocks.
- Household Projects: Painting, organizing closets, the garage, workshop or rooms, rearranging or assembling furniture, dump runs, flipping mattresses, building ramps, and more.
- Technology: Setting up a computer, internet access, email, phone, or helping solve technology problems.
- Financial Assistance: Applications for short-term financial relief are available.
- Emotional Support: Meet with a support group and lay ministers or the parish priest.
- Prayer & Spiritual Support: Our intercessors and parishioners are here to pray on your behalf.
If you are a parishioner who is ill, grieving, home-bound, facing an unexpected crisis or struggling to get by, we want to organize a team of volunteers to help you, or someone you know.
Let us know by calling the church office +501-624-4215, or by filling out the form below.